March 2022

The Edwinstowe Fire Brigade

An enquiry has been received from a member of the Fire Brigade Society requesting permission to use some of the information on Edwinstowe Historical Society’s website relating to the Edwinstowe Fire Brigade.  This is to be included in an article for publication in their quarterly magazine Fire Cover.



The original Fire Station was situated at the junction of High Street with West Lane, and in the early years the fire engine used a manual pump pulled by a horse, which was kept in the field near the River Maun.  No doubt there were occasions when a bag of oats failed to coax the horse into harness, which must have added to the delay in the firemen setting off.    In the 1930’s the first mechanical fire engine arrived, and was named “Mona”.  The Fire Station was replaced in 1958 by a new building located on Mansfield Road, and is staffed on a Wholetime basis.


There were three major fires which the firemen were called upon to deal with.  One occurred in 1907 when fire broke out in the Co-operative Society Stores;  another  in 1929  when the Dukeries Hotel was seriously damaged;  then in the early 1940’s the Methodist Chapel on High Street was damaged by fire. More detailed information may be found on the website

The website continues to expand, with additions to St Mary’s Church, St Mary’s Church School, the Major Oak, Visitor Centre, NCB, Festivals, and Edwinstowe Businesses.