Edwinstowe Cooperative Store with manager and staff. High Street 11th May 1904
Shuttleworth Hairdressers and Cooperative demolition
High Street n.d
The Black Swan and The Jug and Glass in the High Street c1902-1904 High Street Looking South c1903 where the crossroads are now with the village pump .Edwinstowe High Street Postcard c1910
High Street Bread Deliveries c1902
Edwinstowe High Street c1910
Mrs. Winifred Emerson, Henry Holmes (Butcher), George Smith (Co-op Carter) with horse-Rocker.
Lowes Garage and Kirkstall Café on right c1920s
Edwinstowe High Street c1914
High Street c1920sHigh Street n.d.
17 Chetwynd’s High Street 27th Sept 1985
Edwinstowe Institute – Old Library
In the centre of the High Street is a building which has had many uses over the years. The Architect of this and the Church Rooms on Mansfield Road was John Howitt & Son. They were both built in 1913/14 by Earl Manvers who at the time owned most of Edwinstowe. A ‘Time Capsule’ was placed in a wall when it was constructed. His intention for the Institute was a billiards room, a reading room and a lounge to keep young men of the village out of the Public Houses which, even then we had 4 for a population of about 900. During both wars it was used for war work and as a soup Kitchen when needed.
Opening of the Old Library
In 1948, it became our Public Library and where the W.E.A. (Workers’ Educational Association) meetings were held from that time. We mostly chose subjects on history and so it was from those members that the Edwinstowe Historical Society was formed in the early 60s. Many other groups met there including a Yoga class.