King Edwin Primary School previously called Edwinstowe Council School
King Edwin School was opened in 1927. Thoresby Colliery had recently opened and the school was built to provide a places for the new children arriving in the village. Initially, there had been a temporary school housed in a large WW1 wooden hut (at the bottom of the school field) brought from Clipstone Army Training Camp. On the 24th April, 34 children from St. Mary’s school collected their school books and were walked down to the new school. To start with, there was no water at the school. After the main school was built, the hut was used as a dining room for many years. The school had a nursery, KS1, KS2 and Secondary children. In those days, most children left school at 14 years of age. All children at the age of 11 had an exam called the 11+ and those that did well could go to a grammar school in Mansfield. However, some children could not take advantage because their parents could not afford the uniform or the bus fares.
During WW2, many evacuees came to the village and the school numbers rose yet again. During the late 1950s the school was so full that classes were held at the Welfare Hall (now demolished) These children walked there and back 2 or 3 times a day as well as having their dinner at the bottom of the school field.
The school was demolished in 2005.