On Wed. 17th October, members enjoyed an interesting illustrated talk about Edwinstowe Hall (a listed building) which was one of three large houses in the village, the others being Edwinstowe House and Villa Real. Built about 1702, possibly by the Duke of Newcastle, details of ownership and residents of the Hall during the ensuing years were listed to the present day, when it has once again become a private residence. While some changes have taken place, it was remarkable to learn that since 1751 the drawing room plaster ceiling in the Rococo style has remained unchanged. Thanks, were expressed to the Committee members who assembled the information and ensured the afternoon was a success.
The Society’s current display in the Edwinstowe Craft Centre lists some interesting facts about Sherwood Forest, including reference to many of its memorable trees.