To mark the occasion of the 75th anniversary of VJ Day, 15th August 1945, the names of 3 local residents who fought in the Burma campaign were added to the Edwinstowe Historical Society website.
An enquiry has been received relating to a monument known as the Forest Pillar, situated alongside the A616 between Ollerton and Budby. Sadly, the top of the pillar and the plaque have both disappeared, but it is anticipated that future investigation will yield results. Perhaps there is a reader, or readers, of the magazine who could provide any information. If so, please do not hesitate to contact the Society on EdwinstoweHistorySoc@gmail.com .
Recently a gentleman from New Zealand visited the village and enquired about two families associated with Edwinstowe. These were the Rabbitt and Robinson families, to whom he was related. His contact with a member of the Historical Society provided him with information about the two families, which are mentioned on the Society’s website.
Many people will have seen one of the old photographs of the Major Oak depicting the village blacksmiths, complete with bellows, carrying out repairs to the tree. After all this time one could be forgiven for thinking the bellows had been scrapped. However, this is not the case, because the set of bellows was recently located, having been adapted for use as a table.