The Changing Face of Edwinstowe
King Edwin School, Edwinstowe. Built in 1928 and demolished in 2005.
At the Annual General Meeting of the Edwinstowe Historical Society held in May, the Chair reported that although meetings had not been taking place Newsletters had been circulated to members in order to keep them up to date. Work has continued behind the scenes dealing with a variety of enquiries, some coming from abroad, not to mention providing information and photographs for a number of local organisations. The Committee members had been re-elected with the addition of 2 new members. Work is progressing with plans for speakers for the new programme commencing in September.
After the meeting an illustrated talk outlined the changes that have taken place in Edwinstowe’s colliery village. Gone are buildings and recreational facilities which were developed to accommodate the families of the mining community when the Thoresby Colliery was opened in 1928. A school, sports ground, children’s recreation ground, bowling greens, tennis courts, Welfare Hall and Miners’ Institute were considered essential for the social life of the community. The school has been replaced and a nursing home now stands in place of the Miners’ Institute. However, the Thoresby Colliery cricket Pavilion built on the sports ground in 1936 and included in the original plans for the village, does remain. The rest has been developed for housing.