February Update 2024

In January members of the Edwinstowe Historical Society met for lunch at the Forest Lodge hotel in Edwinstowe.  A former coaching inn thought to have been built in 1774, it has provided accommodation and sustenance for travellers for many years.   During that time the proprietors have changed, so too has the name of the establishment, in turn being known in 1885 as Forest House – a boarding house with dining and refreshment rooms;  Forest Side Café -providing high class refreshments (1937); Forest House Café (1947);  Bullivants restaurant (1993);    and subsequently Forest Lodge.

Just one of the many establishments in the village, which catered for visitors to Sherwood Forest including many well-known 19th century writers, poets and artists who gained inspiration from the surroundings. The opening of the station for passenger service in 1896 brought trippers into the village.  For past generations the first choice for refreshment when leaving the station might have been a visit to the Station Tea Rooms, or the splendid Dukeries Hotel, followed by a stroll into the village passing the Black Swan Inn, the Jug and Glass, Birkland House temperance tea rooms, the Royal Oak and the Forest Lodge.  Next would be a walk in the forest to see the Major Oak, perhaps stopping to purchase a drink from Granny Bullimore’s stall on Forest Corner, while keeping an eye open for one of the popular cycling clubs.

Forest Lodge