Arms of Pierrepont, Earls Manvers, Earls and Dukes of Kingston-upon-Hull
Acknowledgement to Wikipedia
Lady Sibell Pierrepont was born on 19th May, 1892 in the civil parish of St George, Hanover Square, London. She was the youngest of four children born to Charles William Sidney Pierrepont, and Helen Shaw-Stewart. Their children were the Hon. Evelyn Robert Pierrepont, 5th Earl (1888 – 1940), Lady Cicely Mary Pierrepont (1886-1936), Lady Alice Helen Pierrepont (1889 – 1969), and Lady Sibell Pierrepont (1892 – 1968).
Earl and Countess Manvers with their family.
Acknowledgement to Thoresby Archives
Her father who was born in 1814 died in 1926, and was the 4th Earl Manvers, inheriting the Manvers Estate on the death of his father in January 1900. Her mother was born in 1859, and died in 1939. She was the daughter of Sir Michael Robert Shaw-Stewart and Octavia Grosvenor.
Reports in the Mansfield Reporter, dated 13th April, 1923 described the marriage held on 10th April, 1923, in the church at Perlethorpe, close to Thoresby House, between Lady Sibell Pierrepont and Mr. Hubert Davys Argles, Land Agent to Earl Manvers. He was born in 1879; his father was the Reverend George Argles and his mother was Mary Ann Harrison.
The church was beautifully decorated with flowers and not only was every pew occupied but there was a large crowd of interested spectators who could not gain admission.
Acknowledgement to southwellchurches.nottingham
The following is another report in the Mansfield Reporter, also dated 13th April, 1923:
“the Argles-Pierrepont wedding at Perlethorpe this week, and the drive through the forest was most enjoyable. The foliage of the silver birches is just putting out, and adds beauty to the landscape. By the way, in regard to the wedding, just as the bride emerged from the church a gust of wind caught her train and blew it round her, and it was necessary to get assistance before she passed under the staffs of the Boy Scouts, who formed a guard of honour. Photographers were very busy at the wedding, especially on the arrival and departure of the bridal party. Many distinguished county people were present and had the church accommodation been three times increased the edifice would have been filled.”
Celebrations continued, as announced in the Mansfield Reporter on 27th April, 1923, to the effect that the 18th had been fixed for the festivities at Thoresby in celebration of the marriage of Earl Manvers’ daughter. It would be a neighbourly gathering, and would demonstrate the good feeling existing between the tenantry and the Earl’s family.
Their residence was “White Lodge” (a.k.a. Proteus Lodge) Thoresby Park, Ollerton.
Acknowledgement to Thoresby Archives
The first house was built c1670. After a fire the second Hall was built, but this was later demolished to make way for Anthony Salvin’s design, built by the 3rd Earl Manvers in 1860.
Later they lived at Holme Pierrepont Hall until her death in 1968, aged 76. The original Tudor manor house dates back to c1500. Requisitioned for military purposes in both World Wars, being unoccupied between them. After which it was reoccupied by Lady Sibell.
Pierrepont Hall. Acknowledgement Wikipedia
The Mansfield Reporter, dated Friday, 3rd December, 1920 reported on the impressive ceremony on Sunday when Lady Sibell Pierrepont, Lady Eveline Maude , Lady Cicely Hardy, Lady Clementine Tottenham, Mrs Bond, Mrs. Wright and many others were present for the unveiling of the War Memorial in Edwinstowe on Sunday: “Sunday’s solemn ceremony was, before all things, the expression of the village’s boundless love and gratitude to the men who in four years of bitter war, laid down their lives, and from defeat and disaster, by sheer heroism and transcendent faith, won surpassing victory. In a sense, we cannot confer upon those gallant dead any higher honour than they already enjoy. They have put on immortality, being dead, they live; being silent they speak, and leaving behind them an imperishable memory, they need no other memorial. But no people can abide who do not prize such a memory as theirs or recall it on every appropriate occasion. When the inhabitants poured forth to pay their gallant dead their last tribute on Sunday none could look upon that cross without feeling the presence of their spirit, the rekindling of the fervour which filled them in their last hours of life. It was the example of lives such as theirs, and the tradition of heroic deeds and faith even unto death to noble ideals. It was the comradeship and devotion which marked them and rendered their memory so precious in the village they loved so well.
Colonel Hardy marched the members of the National Association of Discharged Soldiers and Sailors from the Main Bridge to the Parish Church where, needless to say, there was a crowded congregation, in spite of the inclement weather. The clergy present were the Vicar (Rev. F. C. Day-Lewis), Rev. E. V. Bond (late vicar of the parish), and the curate (Rev. F. Hallam).”
Go to War Memorial to read more.
A successful concert at Edwinstowe was reported in the Mansfield Reporter on 22nd April, 1922 when “Lovers of music had every reason to be fully satisfied on Thursday evening last with the excellent concert given by the Edwinstowe Concert Party in aid of the church and Chapel funds. The event, which was under the distinguished patronage of the Countess Manvers, Lady Sibell Pierrepont, Lady Eveline Maude, Mrs Hutton and many, many others, was in every way a pronounced success, and it is some little time since such an excellent programme of accurate singing was heard in the village. There was a large and appreciative audience, who evidenced their pleasure by the constant rounds of applause. The stage was charmingly decorated for the occasion with plants kindly lent by Mrs Rogerson, Mrs Bolton, and Mrs Stevenson, and presented quite a pleasing appearance. As will be seen from the appended programme, the musical items had been particularly well chosen, and the choir did themselves the greatest credit in the excellent renderings of the part-songs, where the blend of notes, the balance of parts, the control of light and shade were particularly noticeable and pleasing to listen to, all of which were an evidence of the careful and systematic training by their conductor, Mr F. W. Stanley.”
On 15th September, 1922, the Mansfield Reporter printed that “Tickets for the Ladies’ stand at Doncaster this week have been issued to the following:- Captain E. W.S. and Mrs Foljambe, Miss A. Foljambe, Viscount Galway, Earl Manvers, Sir Charles Markham, Bart., Lady Markham, the Duchess of Newcastle, Lady Sibell Pierrepont and Capt. Whitaker, amongst many others.”
The Sheffield Daily Telegraph reported on the 11th April, 1923: “During the war, Lady Sibell, with her great friend and neighbour Lady Victoria Wemyss, only daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Portland (then Lady Victoria Cavendish Bentinck), worked in London on munitions. Although their identity was, of course, known to the management, their co-workers were in entire ignorance, until one day the King visited the factory and recognised the two ladies. Practically always at home, she has interested herself in all the different associations on the estates, and was particularly interested in the Women’s Institute at Edwinstowe. Like her husband and the other members of the family, Lady Sibell is a keen follower of the chase.”
On the 22nd August, 1924 The Mansfield Reporter printed an account of the Edwinstowe Allotment and Garden Holders’ seventh Annual Show on Saturday in the Vicarage grounds which had to be postponed on account of rain. The weather, however, improved later, and the event was a decided success, though the attendance was to some extent impaired. There was a procession of school children carrying flags and headed by the Welbeck Colliery Band, from the Dukeries Hotel through the village to the show ground, where the opening ceremony was performed by Lady Sibell. Lady Sibell was introduced by Mr. A. Naish, who spoke of her popularity in the district and the deep interest which she took in social functions of every kind which took place in the village. She belonged he said, to one of the noblest of our county families,
The following account was included in the Mansfield Reporter on Fri. 12th December, 1924: “Lady Sibell, the youngest daughter of Earl and Countess Manvers, who loves the country around her Nottinghamshire home, takes a very keen interest in the welfare of the people living and working on her father’s estate. She acts as secretary to the Women’s Institute in Edwinstowe, and a few evenings ago took part with some of the members in a sketch at the Christmas party held in the Church House. She and Lady Eveline Maude also took part in the dance which followed. Both ladies are very popular with the women of the village.”
A paragraph in the Mansfield Reporter dated 27th February, 1925 mentioned that on Shrove Tuesday in the National School at Ollerton, Lady Sibell Argles opened an exhibition and display of Scout Craft in connection with the Ollerton Troup of Boy Scouts. The Scoutmaster, Captain K. Roger, C.A. spoke a few words of welcome to the parents and friends assembled. The President of the Troop, the Rev. J. W,. Paley Reade, said a prayer. Then the chairman, Mr. L. O. Trivett, C.C., J.P. Assistant County Commissioner, Nottingham, made a speech which appealed to parents to do all they could to help the scout movement, and that the object of the training was to develop all that was good in the boys to aim at character building.
On the 6th June, 1928, Lady Sibell sailed alone on The Olympic, a ship of the White Star Line to Cherbourg, returning on 4th July, 1928 on the Empress of France of the Canadian Pacific Line. The ship was en route from Quebec to Southampton, calling at Cherbourg.
Another voyage when Lady Sibell sailed alone was 16th July, 1931 on the Bremen of North German Lloyd Co, to Cherbourg, returning on 23rd July on the same ship to Southampton. On the passenger list, her profession stated “merchant”.
Lady Sibell and her husband opened a new cricket pavilion at Edwinstowe in 1933
On another occasion Lady Sibell opened the village Garden Fete with the proceeds helping towards the Day School. (St Mary’s Church Magazine July 1939)
Kelly’s Directory for 1941 states that Lady Sibell was joint master of foxhounds for the Rufford Hunt, together with the Marquis of Titchfield M.P., of Welbeck Woodhouse and Col. R. Thompson D.S.O., T.D., J.P of Whitemoor, Perlethorpe. Hubert Argles J.P. was the secretary. Unfortunately on one occasion Lady Sibell met with a riding accident as recorded in the Mansfield Reporter on 12th November, 1937:
“Shortly after the Rufford hounds had moved off after the opening meet at Wellow on Saturday morning, Lady Sibell Argles met with a nasty accident. While waiting with other riders near Norton Wood her horse became very restive, reared sharply and crashed into a gatepost throwing the rider against a tree. Lady Sibell was severely shaken and badly bruised about the shoulders, but her silk hat, which was smashed in, saved her from serious head injuries. After resting for a short time she was taken by car to her home, White Lodge.”
Both Lady Sibell and her husband were County Magistrates for the Worksop Petty Sessional Division.
Lady Sibell played a big part in the Women’s Institute, in which she was County Chairman from 1931 until 1954. At a County Rally in 1927 Edwinstowe W.I. presented a production called “The Outlaws of Sherwood Forest”, in which Lady Sibell played Maid Marian. (Below)
Lady Sibell Argles Chairman WI 1928
At the Royal Show at Wollaton Park, Nottingham, held in 1928, she presented the Challenge Urn to Burton Joyce W.I. In 1929 there was an outing for 200 members to London by train, and while there Lady Sibell laid a wreath at the Cenotaph.
Acknowledgement Nottinghamshire WI
In 1939, Lady Sibell told members “Whatever happens, in times like the present, I feel that our W.I’s might well be of great value. Whatever happens, I hope that the W.I. in each village will become a centre for useful work towards peace.”
“A History of the Women’s Institutes in Nottinghamshire” mentioned that “When Lady Sibell Argles died in 1968 she must have been very happy to see the Federation flourishing, some Institutes reluctantly having to limit membership numbers which were dictated by the size of their halls.
Lady Sibell had been County President from 1931 to 1955 and even afterwards, when prevented by ill health from taking a very active part, she was tremendously interested to see how the movement grew and prospered, still bringing interest and happiness to country women. It was fitting that the Golden Jubilee birthday party was celebrated at Thoresby, her family home, but unfortunately she was not well enough to be present. She sent her good wishes and one of her last acts was to send her donation to Nottinghamshire for the National Appeal. She was remembered with gratitude and affection by those who had known her.”
Both Lady Sibell and her husband died in January 1968. There is a memorial plaque in St Edmund’s Church, Holme Pierrepont.
When Lady Sibell died in January, 1968, the Rev. Harold Pickles, wrote in the February 1968 edition of St Mary’s church magazine:
“We have to record, very sadly many losses to the Church on earth of several who have had intimate connections with this parish and district: – Clara Greaves……; Lady Eveline Maude, who after her move to Perlethorpe, still retained connections with our P.C.C. and local organisations – her gracious personality and radiant Christian Faith endearing her to all the many people with whom she came into contact in a long life of devotion; Lady Sibell Argles, and following soon on her passing, her husband Hubert Argles.”
Acknowledgement to southwellchurches.nottingham