Lady Eveline Maude

Lady Eveline Maude was born on 17th July, 1880 at No. 11, Great Cumberland Place, Hyde Park, Marylebone, Middlesex. Her residence in 1891 was the Hall, Thorney, Notts,  and in 1912 she lived in Cockglode House together with her mother, Henrietta Hutton, until Henrietta’s death in 1940.

 

 

 

 

 

“Eva Henrietta Hutton, mother of Lady Eveline Maude, on the lawn of Cockglode House (Dower House to Thoresby Hall)”.

Cockglode c. 1910

The Georgian house built in 1788 replaced an earlier property, and in 1884 the property was extended.  The house was abandoned in 1956 and later demolished.

After Lady Henrietta’s death, Lady Eveline moved out of the house to live in the “Kennels” at Thoresby Park.   She died on 9th January, 1968.The Kennels, Perlethorpe, Thoresby Park

Alan Murray-Rust – geograph.org.uk/p/4701097

Her father was Captain Hon Cornwallis Maude who was born on 22nd October,1851.  He was the son of Cornwallis Maude, 4th Viscount Haywarden, first and last Earl de Montalt of Dundram, and Clementine Elphinstone-Fleming. Educated at Eton he gained the rank of Captain in the service of the Grenadier Guards.  Sadly he was killed in action by the Boers at the Battle of Majuba Hill on 27th February, 1881.

The Battle of Majuba Hill, drawn by Richard Caton Woodville for the Illustrated London News, 1889.   Acknowledgement to Wikipedia

Lady Eveline’s father married Eva Henrietta Brooke, the daughter of Francis Richard Brooke and the Hon Henrietta Monk on 28th February, 1878.  They had two children:  Lady Clementine Isabel Maude, born c1878, in Co Dublin, and Lady Eveline Maude.   The two sisters were raised to the rank of Earl’s daughters, by Royal Warrant, in August 1905.

Following the death of her husband, Eva Henrietta married Lieutenant Colonel George Holden Hutton on 9th June, 1883. He was born in 1846 at Gate Burton, Lincs and died 17th October 1908.  He was the son of Rev. George Thomas Hutton and Caroline Holden.  Eva Henrietta and George lived at Thorney Hall, Notts where their son George Frederick Hutton was born in 1884.  George Frederick rose to the rank of Major in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and emigrated to Christchurch, New Zealand in 1890, where he died in 1954.  He married Maria Rose Mareham Rhodes, in 1915,  and their son, George Arthur Hutton, who was born in 1917,  married Constance Agnes Meikle and had 6 children.

Newspaper articles reported on many of the events involving Lady Eveline:

On 20th October, 1916 the Mansfield Reporter printed:

“Edwinstowe Whist Drive.  One of the most successful whist drives ever held in Edwinstowe, took place in the Church-room, on Tuesday evening.  The event was promoted by Lady Eveline Maude (Cockglode House), and a committee of ladies of the village, who are to be highly congratulated upon the success which attended their efforts. The proceeds, which amounted to about £15 was devoted towards a Christmas Parcels Fund which is being inaugurated in the parish for the benefit of the soldiers and Sailors at present serving with the Colours, either at home or abroad, from the ecclesiastical parish of Edwinstowe, Clipstone and Carburton.  There are about 160 men to be provided for and, needless to say, for such a deserving cause, there was a record attendance about 135 paying for admission.  Some very interesting games were played, and at the close the winners were declared as follows: – Ladies – 1, Miss L Woodhead, 181; 2, Mrs N Wilson. 179. Gents: 1, Mr E Padley, 185; 2 Mr. C Wood, 176.  The vicar, the Rev. E.V. Bond and Mr A  Naish carried out the duties of M.C’s. and the prizes were given by Lady Eveline Maude and Mrs Hutton (Cockglode House).”

The Mansfield Reporter, dated Friday, 3rd December, 1920 reported on the impressive ceremony on Sunday when Lady Eveline Maude, Lady Sibell Pierrepont, , Lady Cicely Hardy, Lady Clementine Tottenham, Mrs Bond, Mrs. Wright and many others were present for the unveiling of the War Memorial in Edwinstowe on Sunday:  “Sunday’s solemn ceremony was, before all things, the expression of the village’s boundless love and gratitude to the men who in four years of bitter war, laid down their lives, and from defeat and disaster, by sheer heroism and transcendent faith, won surpassing victory. In a sense, we cannot confer upon those gallant dead any higher honour than they already enjoy. They have put on immortality, being dead, they live; being silent they speak, and leaving behind them an imperishable memory, they need no other memorial. But no people can abide who do not prize such a memory as theirs or recall it on every appropriate occasion. When the inhabitants poured forth to pay their gallant dead their last tribute on Sunday none could look upon that cross without feeling the presence of their spirit, the rekindling of the fervour which filled them in their last hours of life. It was the example of lives such as theirs, and the tradition of heroic deeds and faith even unto death to noble ideals. It was the comradeship and devotion which marked them and rendered their memory so precious in the village they loved so well..

Colonel Hardy marched the members of the National Association of Discharged Soldiers and Sailors from the Main Bridge to the Parish Church where, needless to say, there was a crowded congregation, in spite of the inclement weather. The clergy present were the Vicar (Rev. F. C. Day-Lewis), Rev. E. V. Bond (late vicar of the parish), and the curate (Rev. F. Hallam).”

Go to War Memorial to read more.

Edwinstowe War Memorial

Together with Countess Manvers, Lady Sibell Pierrepont, Mrs Hutton and many others Lady Eveline was present at a concert in Edwinstowe given by the Edwinstowe Concert Party in aid of the Church and Chapel funds.  According to the write-up in the Mansfield Reporter dated 22nd April, 1922 it had been a success as it had been a while since such fine singing was heard in the village and was due to the training by their conductor, Mr. F. W. Stanley. The stage had been decorated with plants lent by Mrs. Rogerson, Mrs Bolton and Mrs. Stevenson.

In August 1922, along with her mother Eva, aged 67 at the time, Lady Eveline sailed from Southampton on board the RMS Ruahine bound for Auckland, New Zealand, and returned to Southampton on the same ship on 6th June, 1923.

RMS Ruahine

A further visit to Wellington, New Zealand was on board the RMS Rangatiki on 24th September, 1948, where according to the passenger list her intended permanent future place of residence was New Zealand.  However, she returned from Auckland on the same ship on 7th June 1949.  A Miss Mary Hutton, a student aged 23 years of Dollis Park, Finchley, London, was on the same voyage.  Perhaps this young lady was a relative, or was it pure coincidence that her name was “Hutton”.

Lady Eveline took great interest in local activities, becoming involved with the inauguration of the Edwinstowe Women’s Institute in 1920, and the National Federation of Women’s Institutes

In 1925, there was a County Exhibition in the Drill Hall, Nottingham which was opened on the first day by Lady Eveline, President of Edwinstowe WI, who stressed the importance of home life and how the WI could help in its quality.

The Drill Hall, Derby road, Nottingham. Acknowledgement to Wikipedia

In 1927, she became County Vice-Chairman, and in 1932 (until 1945) was Editor of the Notts Supplement of Home and Country Magazine.

From 1924, until 1964, she was a member of the Parochial Church Council and was also involved with the Girls’ Friendly Society.  This certificate of membership was for a village girl:

Reports appeared regularly in the local press and mention was always made of Lady Eveline’s kindly and gracious manner whether it was opening a 2 day bazaar in Mansfield (Mansfield Reporter – 23rd December 1927);  or formally opening the new laundry at Mansfield General Hospital, which had been fitted with all the latest machinery and devices (Nottingham Journal, 26th February, 1929);  further still opening the bazaar at Ironville School when members of Pye Hill Primitive Methodist Church celebrated the jubilee year (Derbys Times & Chesterfield Herald – 2nd April 1932);   attendance at the garden fete in aid of the Mansfield Women’s Social Centre held, by kind permission of the governors, in the grounds of Brunts School on Wednesday.  In introducing Lady Eveline Maude, Mrs F. Armstrong, the Chairman, mentioned her close connection with Mansfield Hospital, and especially the Linen Guild, and thanked her for coming to open the fete. (Mansfield Reporter – 30th July, 1937);  responsible for the Cake Stall at the Christmas Fair in 1956  (St Mary’s Church Magazine);  presenting a cheque and gift to Mr R Richardson to “mark appreciation and gratitude of the PCC for his 21 years’ service as Church Treasurer” (St Mary’s Church Magazine August 1958). This is just a selection of the many events supported by Lady Eveline.

When Lady Eveline died on 9th January, 1968, the Rev. Harold Pickles, wrote in the February 1968 edition of the Church Magazine:

We have to record, very sadly many losses to the Church on earth of several who have had intimate connections with this parish and district: – Clara  Greaves……;  Lady Eveline Maude, who after her move to Perlethorpe, still retained connections with our P.C.C. and local organisations – her gracious personality and radiant Christian Faith endearing her to all the many people with whom she came into contact in a long life of devotion;  Lady Sibell Argles, and following soon on her passing, her husband Hubert Argles.”