Welcome to the Edwinstowe Historical Society website.
In the 1960’s, a collection of old post cards inspired a number of local teachers to attend WEA Local history courses and to form the Edwinstowe Historical Society with the aim of researching, saving and sharing materials relating to the history of our village and surrounding area.
Over the years hundreds of documents and photographs were added to the collection recording the social and physical change to the village and its close links with Sherwood Forest over the past two thousand years. The heritage stretches back to the 7th Century when a small chapel was built as a shrine to St Edwin in the forest clearing to be known as Edwin Stowe, the place of Edwin.
Recently for the first time since its inception the group has been given a room in a local business centre to archive and store the collection. With the help of a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and training from the Nottinghamshire Archive Department the volunteers have been cataloguing and indexing documents, scanning and storing over 1700 photographs. When the project is complete the new Archive will be open to the public for research.
During the past twelve months the society has held a number of exhibitions in the village, in October 2015 an exhibition to commemorate the closing of Thoresby Colliery were held in the Library. There was an exhibition commemorating the Queen’s birthday in St Mary’s Church and a reunion of members who took part in the Sherwood Forest Pageant in July. Members are currently producing an Education Pack for the local schools and a website to Share our Heritage. This is all made possible by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund for which we are very grateful.